Wyckoff House



View Larger Map
Not to be confused with: Wyckoff-Bennett Homestead
The Wyckoff House, or Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House is located at 5816 Clarendon Road in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn. The Wyckoff House itself is located in Milton Fidler Park. The Wyckoff House is estimated to have been built in 1652, it is the oldest surviving example of a Dutch saltbox frame house in America, and was one of the first structures built by Europeans on Long Island. The majority of the current structure was added in the 19th century, with the small kitchen section dating back to the 18th century. Only a small section remains from 1652.
Wyckoff House is on land that Wouter van Twiller purchased from the local Lenape people in approximately 1636. (Europeans often referred to the native inhabitants simply by the Lenape language place name for the larger area: "Canarsie", in this case)
Wyckoff House was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967.
Wyckoff House is owned by New York City but is operated by a nonprofit.
Some believed that every person with the name Wyckoff (or its variations) has descended from Pieter (Claessen) Wyckoff from this house. Pieter Claessen was forced to change his surname sometime after 1664 and chose "Wyckoff." At that time there were no other known Wyckoffs. There are some 60 known variations of the name that appeared between 1790 and 1900 (after which, no new variations appeared).