University Place


View Larger Map

University Place is a short north-south thoroughfare in Manhattan, New York City which runs from Washington Square Park in the south as a continuation of Washington Square East, and terminates at East 14th Street just southwest of Union Square. Although the roadway continues north of 14th Street as Union Square West, the two streets run in opposite directions (University Place uptown, and Union Square West downtown), both feeding into 14th Street. Until the late 1990s, University Place was a two-way street.
University Place was formerly part of Wooster Street, but received a new name in 1838, a year after New York University's first building opened on Washington Square. The University Place street was the original location of the Union Theological Seminary in 1838, and the New York Society Library moved there in 1856.
The University Place street has numerous shops and restaurants, many of which cater to students at NYU and the New School.