St. Nicholas Park



View Larger Map
St. Nicholas Park can be reached from the subway by taking the A, B, C, or D trains to the 125th Street, 135th Street (B and C only), or 145th Street stations.
Saint Nicholas Park is a New York City public park located in Harlem at the intersection of Manhattan neighborhoods Hamilton Heights and Manhattanville. The nearly 23-acre (93,000 m2) park is contained by 141st Street to the north, 128th Street to the south, St. Nicholas Terrace to the west, and St. Nicholas Avenue to the east. Much of City College's campus, including the famous Shepard Hall, is located just across St. Nicholas Terrace. The wooded park features basketball courts, playgrounds, handball courts, a dog park, and New York City Department of Parks and Recreation-designated barbecue areas. Other attractions include large Manhattan schist outcrops, and monarch butterflies that cover the butterfly bushes at migration time.

The History of the first parkland was acquired upon the condemnation of the Croton Aqueduct in 1895. After additional property was acquired, construction on St. Nicholas Park began in 1906. Like the streets on its eastern and western borders, St. Nicholas Park was named after St. Nicholas, the patron saint of Amsterdam whose likeness adorned one of the ships that brought the first Dutch settlers to New Amsterdam. Parks Commissioner Samuel Parsons designed St. Nicholas Park himself. St. Nicholas Park then expanded in 1909, when St. Nicholas Park's southern boundary was extended to 128th Street. In 1931, a playground opened along 129th Street. A new playground was erected on this site in 1965. Alexander Hamilton's Historic farmhouse, the Hamilton Grange, was moved in 2008 to the north side of St. Nicholas Park, to face 141st street.