St. Ann and the Holy Trinity Church



View Larger Map
St. Ann and the Holy Trinity Church is an historic Episcopal church located at the corner of Montague and Clinton streets in the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City. The building was built as Church of the Holy Trinity, and opened in 1847. Following years of controversy, the parish was closed in 1957, and the building stood mostly empty for the next 12 years. The present name of the parish reflects the fact that St. Ann's, the oldest Episcopal parish in Brooklyn, moved into the then empty Holy Trinity building in 1969. The church possesses the first figural stained-glass windows made in the United States, crafted by William Jay Bolton. The Holy Trinity Church was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.

The designer for the Holy Trinity Church was prominent nineteenth-century American architect Minard Lafever, with stained glass by William Jay Bolton and John Bolton. St. Ann's church (organized 1787) was originally named in honor of Ann Ayscough Sands (1761–1851), who was an early patron with her husband Joshua Sands. St. Ann's church previously occupied the elaborate High Victorian Gothic building still standing on the northeast corner of Clinton and Livingstone streets, built 1877-1878 to designs by James Renwick Jr. of Renwick & Sands. That church, which featured stained glass by Henry E. Sharp, was sold to the Packer Collegiate Institute for use as a gym.
Stained-glass windows from both the old St. Ann's (by Sharp) and Holy Trinity Church (by Bolton) are on display in the American wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Bolton window has been re-configured by the Museum in order to fit its current display.