New York Cotton Exchange



View Larger Map
New York Cotton Exchange is located at 1 Hanover Square also known variously as the and the India House is on the southern edge of Hanover Square in lower Manhattan, New York City, New York.

The structure was constructed as a commercial investment by the builder, developer, and merchant Richard F. Carman, 1851-53. In 1870, the New York Cotton Exchange was founded here, the second such exchange in the world and the first commodity market in the United States. Cotton Exchange was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977.
Before the Cotton Exchange, it was the headquarters of the Hanover Bank. After 1914, it was the India House, a private club. It currently houses restaurants. The Cotton Exchangewas also used in the 2001 film Kate and Leopold as Leopold's home.