Merchant's House Museum



View Larger Map
Merchant's House Museum, known formerly as Old Merchant's House and as the Seabury Tredwell House, is a Federal-style red-brick row house built in 1832 by Joseph Brewster. Merchant's House Museum is located at 29 East Fourth Street, between Lafayette Street and the Bowery, Manhattan, New York City. Merchant's House Museum was designed by Minard Lafever. It became a museum in 1936 and is the only nineteenth century family home in New York City preserved intact - both inside and outside. The Merchant's House Museum building underwent a major restoration in 1971 by Joseph Roberto (architect) and Carolyn Roberto (interior design).