Marcus Garvey Park

Marcus Garvey Park Area Picture Maps Interactive 360 Street View.


View Larger Map

Marcus Garvey Park, Mount Morris Historical District East 120th Street-124th Street, Madison Avenue to 5th Avenue.
The park is operated and maintained by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Marcus Garvey Park, a/ka/ Mount Morris Park as it is referred to by the people in the neighborhood, is located in Harlem in the New York City borough of Manhattan. The 20.17-acre (81,600 m2) park interrupts the flow of Fifth Avenue, which is routed around the park via Mount Morris Park West. The park is bounded by 120th Street and 124th Street and by Madison Avenue on its east side.

Marcus Garvey Park facilities are the Pelham Fritz Recreation Center and an Amphitheater (both located on the west side of the park at 122nd Street), and Swimming Pool (on the north side of the park), and two playgrounds designed for infants and disabled children, which were built in 1993. A Little League baseball field occupies the southwest corner of the park. A dog run with wood chip footing is located on the southeast corner of the park.

The Marcus Garvey Park watchtower allowed observers to use the natural elevation of the park and the added height of the structure to search for fires, in an era when most buildings were made of wood. The 47-foot (14 m) cast-iron tower is the only one to survive of eleven that had been constructed in the city, and was designated as a landmark in 1967. The watchtower is located at the center of the park on an artificial plateau called The Acropolis. The Harlem Fire Watchtower was designed by Julius H. Kroehl and erected in 1855-57 of cast iron. The tower was fitted with a 10,000 pound bell cast by Jones & Hitchcock.

Originally named Mount Morris Park (and still part of the Mount Morris Park Historic District), in 1973 the park was renamed for Marcus Garvey. The name Marcus Garvey Park change did not arise from a grass-roots movement in the community, but rather, it was political maneuvering by Mayor John Lindsay to ingratiate himself with the communities of upper Manhattan. The new name Marcus Garvey Park for the park honored Garvey, a publisher, journalist, entrepreneur, crusader for black nationalism, and founder of the Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League (UNIA-ACL). The Marcus Garvey Park was opened to the public in 1840, in the general area designated by the Commissioners' Plan of 1811 for a park outside of the plan's street grid. In the summer of 1969 the park was the site of the Harlem Cultural Festival, a series of concerts that came to be known as "Black Woodstock." The name has changed on maps but not in the parlance of the people in the neighborhood.