Kips Bay

Kips Bay Picture Maps Interactive 360 Street View.


View Larger Map

Kips Bay, East 23rd Street-34th Street and the East River to 3rd Avenue.
Kips Bay is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Manhattan. Because there are no official boundaries for New York City neighborhoods, the limits of Kip's Bay are somewhat vague, but it is often considered to be the area between East 23rd Street and East 34th Street extending from Lexington Avenue to the East River. Some definitions put its western boundary significantly farther east, at Second Avenue, and recently the northern boundary has been extended to 38th Street rather than 34th Street.

Kips Bay is neighbored that is part of Manhattan Community Board 6.on the north by Murray Hill, on the west by Midtown East or Rose Hill, and on the south by the Gramercy Park neighborhood and the Peter Cooper Village apartment complex.

The neighborhood has been rebuilt in patches, so one can see both new high-rise structures often set back from the street, and a multitude of exposed party walls that were never meant to be seen in public.

A nearly forgotten feature of Kips Bay is the private alley, Broadway Alley, between 26th and 27th Streets, halfway between Lexington and Third Avenues, reputedly the last unpaved street in New York.

In the 1960s and later, four Henry Phipps high-rise apartment complexes were constructed mainly on East 29th Street between First and Second Avenues, and south to East 27th Street. Historically, Phipps had been a partner of Andrew Carnegie. Much earlier in time, by 1940, the Madison Square Boys (and later Girls) Club, which had been located on East 30th Street just east of Second Avenue, built its own facilities on East 29th Street (back-to-back with its older facility). In the 1990s, the Club sold its facility to The Churchill School and Center and has operated its office in the Empire State Building.

There are two large apartment buildings in the neighborhood, named Kips Bay Towers, a 1,112-unit complex completed in 1963 and designed by architect I.M. Pei. Many businesses in the neighborhood use the name (Kips Bay Cinemas, Kips Bay Cleaners, Kips Bay branch of the New York Public Library).

Since the late 1990s, the Kips Bay area has had a commercial strip mall on Second Avenue between East 30th and East 33rd Streets, set back from the street by a driveway running parallel to Second Avenue. This group of stores is referred to as "Kips Bay Plaza" and consists of an AMC/Loews movie theater, a Borders bookstore, a Crunch Fitness center, and a 24-hour Rite Aid pharmacy.

Today Kips Bay, the waterfront south of Waterside Plaza is Stuyvesant Cove Park. The park includes a small man-made land mass extending out into the East River, which was created from excess cement dumped into the river.
Kips Bay built on a pier above the East River between East 25th and East 28th Streets are Waterside Plaza and the United Nations International School. There were plans to build additional above-water apartments, offices, and a hotel in the 1980s but environmental concerns and community opposition doomed the project.

History:
Further north on First Avenue between East 37th and East 38th Streets is the former Kips Bay Brewing Company, originally constructed in 1895 and now occupied by offices.
Within Kips Bay, the area along First Avenue is dominated by the institutional buildings of New York University, including the Tisch School of the Arts, NYU College of Dentistry, NYU School of Medicine, Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, Bellevue Hospital Center teaching hospital, and the Manhattan VA Hospital.

Kips Bay was named after the Dutch settler Jacobus Hendrickson Kip, whose farm ran north of 30th Street to the East River, around a bay in the river, which was named after him. The bay became reclaimed land, yet "Kips Bay" remains the name of the area. Kip built a large brick and stone house, near the modern intersection of Second Avenue and East 35th Street. The house stood from 1655 to 1851, expanded more than once, and when it was demolished was the last farmhouse from New Amsterdam remaining in the city. Iron figures fixed into the gable-end brickwork commemorated the year of its first construction. Its orchard was famous, and, when George Washington was presented with a slip of its Rosa gallica during his first administration, it was claimed to have been the first garden to have grown it in the colonies.

Kips Bay was the site of the Landing at Kip's Bay (September 15, 1776), an episode of the American Revolutionary War and part of the New York and New Jersey campaign. About 4,000 British Army troops under General William Howe landed at Kips Bay on September 15, 1776, near what is now the foot of East 33rd Street. Howe's forces defeated about 500 American militiamen commanded by Colonel William Douglas. The American forces immediately retreated and the British occupied New York City soon afterward.

A single survivor of the late 18th or early 19th century in the neighborhood is the simple vernacular white clapboard house, much rebuilt, which has been variously dated from around 1790 to as late as 1870, standing gable-end to the street, at 203 East 29th Street it is one of a mere handful of wooden houses that remain on Manhattan Island. The house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is privately owned and not open to the public.

South of the Kips Bay Farm stood the substantial Federal-style villa erected facing the East River by Henry A. Coster, in the thirty-acre estate that was purchased in 1835 by Anson Greene Phelps towards the city, the Bull's Head cattle market fronting the Boston Post Road extended southwards from 27th Street to 23rd Street, affording a distinctly less rural aspect, the villa was removed to make way for rowhouses in the 1860s and the cattle market was moved farther out of town, to 42nd Street.