John Jay Park



View Larger Map
John Jay Park is located between 76th and 78th streets, and between Franklin D. Roosevelt East River Drive and a short street called Cherokee Place, in Manhattan's Upper East Side. The John Jay Park is named for statesman and New York Governor John Jay. John Jay Park is a 3.3-acre (13,000 m2) park in the New York City borough of Manhattan.
In 1902 the city acquired through condemnation a parcel of land at the site of the park and opened a public bath house in 1906. A swimming pool and promenade was built nearby from 1940 to 1942, part of a Work Projects Administration construction program. In 1941 the bath house was renovated to include an auditorium, recreation room, gym, and changing facility which could accommodate 1,002 male and 590 female bathers.
The John Jay Park is used for physical education classes by Eleanor Roosevelt High School (New York City), Lycée français de New York, East Side Middle School, and P.S. 158.