Isham Park



View Larger Map
Isham Park is a 20-acre (81,000 m2) historic park located in the Inwood section of Manhattan in New York City. The Isham Park was created through a gift of the Isham family in 1912-1916 and later expanded by New York City in 1925 and 1927. Its western border once extended to the Harlem River but after the development of Inwood Hill Park and reconfiguration of area streets the boundary became, for all practical purposes, Seaman Avenue. Isham Park has its southern boundary at Isham Street. For part of its length Broadway is the eastern boundary, but from about West 214 Street Park Terrace East is the boundary. The Isham Park northern end is just south of West 215 Street. The Isham Park is cut in two by Park Terrace West.
Isham Park is noted at its southern end for some exposed marble outcroppings which date from the Cambrian period. Isham Park is a popular location for college geology classes to visit. There is a public garden in the northeastern corner. Much of the rest of the park has trees and brush growing in a rather wild manner.
The Isham Park is tremendously popular with families with small children who appreciate the park's rolling topography and quiet nature. Ball games and other sports are discouraged in Isham Park and the park serves as a serene, more passive neighbor to the many facilities of Inwood Hill Park.
The Isham mansion, which originally came with the park gift, was torn down in the 1940s due to its deteriorating condition.