Hamilton Grange National Memorial



View Larger Map
Alexander Hamilton was born and raised in the West Indies and came to New York in 1772 at age 17 to study at King's College (now Columbia University). During his career, Hamilton was a military officer, lawyer, member of the United States Constitutional Convention, American statesman, and the first United States Secretary of the Treasury.

The house was named "The Grange" after Hamilton's grandfather's estate in Scotland. (A grange was originally a place where food was grown for a monastery.) Hamilton's mother, Rachel Faucett Lavien, also lived there for a time and is buried at an estate named Grange on the island of St. Croix. The Grange was the only home ever owned by Hamilton and it remained in his family for 30 years after his death.
The Hamilton Heights neighborhood of Harlem derived its name from Hamilton and the Grange.
Hamilton commissioned architect John McComb Jr. to design a country home on Hamilton's 32 acre (0.13 km²) estate in upper Manhattan. The two-story frame Federal style house was completed in 1802, just two years before Hamilton's death during a duel with political rival Aaron Burr on July 11, 1804.