The George Gustav Heye Center



View Larger Map
The George Gustav Heye Center is the branch in New York City of the National Museum of the American Indian, which is part of the Smithsonian Institution. The George Gustav Heye Center is named for George Gustav Heye. The collection features contemporary and historical exhibits of art and artifacts by and about Native Americans.
The George Gustav Heye Center collection once housed in Harlem, New York, is housed at the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House on Bowling Green in lower Manhattan. The Beaux Arts-style building, designed by architect Cass Gilbert, was completed in 1907. George Gustav Heye Center is a designated National Historic Landmark and a New York City landmark. The The George Gustav Heye center’s exhibition and public access areas total about 20,000 square feet (2,000 m²). The Heye Center offers a range of exhibitions, film and video screenings, school group programs and living culture presentations throughout the year.