Fort George

Fort George Area Picture Maps Interactive 360 Street View.



View Larger Map


Fort George, Between Nagle Aveune, Dyckman Street, and 192nd Street, includes Broadway Street South to Fairview Avenue.
Originally Fort George, was the name of five forts in the state of New York. The first Fort George was built in 1626 in New Amsterdam and named Fort Amsterdam. The British Army occupied it as Fort James from 1664 to 1687. Briefly re-occupied by the Dutch from 1673-1674 as Fort Willem Hendrick, it was renamed Fort George in 1687. The fort was destroyed in 1776 by the Americans and finally demolished in 1790. The site is now a museum and courthouse in Lower Manhattan.
A second Fort George was built by the British in 1755 at Oswego, New York, but it was destroyed by the French commander Louis-Joseph de Montcalm in 1756.
A third Fort George was built in Lake George, New York in 1755. Destroyed in 1777 and finally abandoned in 1780.
A fourth Fort George was built on Staten Island. The last Fort George or Fort George Hill was built in 1776 in NYC Manhattan near the current intersection of Audubon Avenue and 192nd Street in Upper Manhattan. Briefly named Fort Clinton and finally Fort George. From 1895 to 1914 it was the site of the Fort George Amusement Park, and is nowNYC Manhattan George Washington High School.