Eldridge Street Synagogue


The Eldridge Street Synagogue, built in 1887, is National Historic Landmark synagogue on Manhattan's Lower East Side.

View Larger Map
On December 2, 2007, after 20 years of renovation work that cost US$20 million, and that was overseen by the non-profit Museum at Eldridge Street the synagogue reopened to the public. It continues to serve as an Orthodox Jewish synagogue, with regular weekly services on the Sabbath and Holidays, and is also the Museum at Eldridge Street offering informative tours that relate to American Jewish history, the history of the Lower East Side and immigration.
Restoration of the Eldridge Street Synagogue, was a team effort, combining dozens of varied interests and trades into a cohesive whole. The Eldridge Street Synagogue restoration team set an overarching goal, of authenticity: that the story of the building — and the nuances of human participation in its construction and use — should not be erased through the process of restoration.
The effort to return the Eldridge Street Synagogue sanctuary to its Victorian splendor, while maintaining the idiosyncrasies of the original aesthetic and preserving patina of age, included plaster consolidation and replication of ornamental plaster elements, over-paint removal, conservation, in-painting replication of stenciling, wood finishing and decorative painting including: faux-woodgraining, marbleizing, and gilding by skilled craftsmen.