Bayard-Condict Building



View Larger Map
The Bayard-Condict Building at 65 Bleecker Street between Broadway and Lafayette Street in the NoHo neighbourhood of Manhattan, New York City is the only work of architect Louis Sullivan in New York City. It was built between 1897 and 1899 in the Chicago School style; the associate architect was Lyndon P. Smith. The Bayard-Condict Building was originally known as the Condict Building before being renamed the Bayard Building The Bayard-Condict Building was considered to be a radical design for its time, since it contravened the strictures of American Renaissance architecture which were the accepted status quo, but had little influence on architectural design in New York City, because of its location in the industrial area that Bleecker Street was during that period.
The Bayard-Condict Building was designated a New York City landmark in 1975, and has been a National Historic Landmark since 1976.