Ambrose (lightship)



View Larger Map
Ambrose Lightship was the name given to multiple lightships that served as the sentinel beacon marking Ambrose Channel which is the main shipping channel for New York Harbor.
The first lightstation was established south of the Ambrose Channel off of Sandy Hook, NJ in 1823. From 1823 through 1967 several ships served the Ambrose Channel station and were referred to as Lightship Ambrose due to the stations name being painted on the side of the ship. The lighship serving this station was relocated closer to the center of the Ambrose Channel in 1906. On 24 August 1967 the Ambrose station lightship was replaced by a Texas Tower and was referred as the Ambrose Light.