Stable Gallery


The Stable Gallery, was originally located on West 58th Street in New York, was founded in 1953 by Eleanor Ward. The Stable Gallery hosted early solo New York exhibitions for artists including Andy and Warhol Robert Indiana.
The Stable Annuals represented what came to be known as the New York School abstract expressionists of the 1950s.
The Stable Gallery, which was originally located in an old livery stable on West 58th Street in New York, received its name from the origin of its location. Initially, the gallery sold mannequins and exhibited photography that was fashion related. Eleanor Ward had received much encouragement for her gallery from important figures such as Christian Dior, and by the mid 1950s the Stable Gallery would begin to annually host a homage exhibit to the “9th Street Art Exhibition” of 1951 where Ward would bring forth notable Abstract Expressionist artists including Willem de Kooning, Phillip Guston, Howard Kanovitz, Franz Kline, Nicolas Carone, Knox Martin, Robert Motherwell, Jackson Pollock, Robert Rauschenberg, Ad Reinhardt, and Jack Tworkov to exhibit. This yearly event, which would come to be known as the "Stable Annual", was a great success for the gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment