Kraushaar Galleries


<<< Back to: Art Galleries


View Larger Map
The Kraushaar Galleries is now located at 74 East 79th Street and functions as a private gallery, retaining its focus art of the first half of the twentieth century.
Kraushaar Galleries art gallery is in New York City founded in 1885 by Charles W. Kraushaar, who had previously been with the European art gallery, Schaus.
The Kraushaar Galleries first location on Broadway at 33rd street where it showed Dutch and French Barbizon paintings, as well as works by Courbet, Corot, Whistler and Fantin-Latour. When John Kraushaar, John's younger brother, joined the business the gallery also began showing modern French painters: Soutine, Matisse, Roualt, Modigliani, Redon, Picasso and other late 19th and early 20th century artists.
Later John Kraushaar began showing works by American artists, particularly Robert Henri and his circle, and the group known as The Eight, Henri, John Sloan, William Glackens, Everett Shinn, George Luks, Maurice Prendergast, Ernest Lawson and Arthur B. Davies.
After his brother's death in 1917, John Kraushaar continued the business. In the 1940's newer American painters were added. Among them were John A. Hartell, John Heliker, William Kienbusch, Joe Lasker, James Lechay, Elsie Manville, and Karl Schrag.

No comments:

Post a Comment