Charles Egan Gallery


The gallery closed in 1972 when it moved to the Fuller Building at 41 East 57th Street in New York City during the 1950s
The Charles Egan Gallery opened at 63 East 57th Street (Manhattan) in about 1945, when Charles Egan was in his mid-30's. A group show the next year included works by de Kooning, Joseph Stella, Josef Albers. Other artists Mr. Egan showed were Louise Bourgeois, Joseph Cornell, Robert De Niro, Sr., Elias Goldberg, Peter Golfinopoulos, Philip Guston, Raoul Hague, Julius Hatofsky, Franz Kline, Noguchi, Knox Martin, Reuben Nakian, Aaron Siskind, and Jack Tworkov.
Irving Sandler wrote that because of his solo exhibition held at this gallery in 1948, Willem de Kooning was established as a major Abstract Expressionist, second only to Pollock in reputation and soon to be the most influential artist of that generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment