View Larger Map
291 (Art Gallery) is the commonly known name for an internationally famous art gallery that was located at 291 Fifth Avenue in New York City from 1905 to 1917 hence; 291 (Art Gallery). Originally known as the "Little Galleries of the Photo-Secession", the 291 (Art Gallery) was created and managed by photographer Alfred Stieglitz.
The gallery is famous for two reasons. The exhibitions helped bring art photography to the same stature in America as painting and sculpture. Pioneering artistic photographers such as Stieglitz, Edward Steichen, Alvin Langdon Coburn, Gertrude Kasebier and Clarence H. White all gained critical recognition through exhibitions at 291 (Art Gallery). Equally important, Stieglitz used this space to introduce to the United States some of the most avant-garde European artists of the time, including: Auguste Rodin, Henri Rousseau, Paul CézanneHenri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Constantin Brancusi, Marcel Duchamp, and Francis Picabia.